: In stock
- Includes information on current research trends
- Covers novel medical genetics topics such as intra-uterine insemination
- Discusses the process of biotech product development, with suitable examples
- Examines ethical issues within biotechnology research and product development (e.g. embryonic stem cells, cloning, gene therapy, and GM crops)
- Includes learning objectives for each chapter, in addition to problems, lab assignments, references, and ancillary online resources
- Suggests field trips that can be used to apply and better understand concepts and other material in the book
Solutions manual available with qualifying course adoption
The focus of Biotechnology Fundamentals is to educate readers on both classical and modern aspects of biotechnology and to expose them to a range of topics, from basic information to complex technicalities. Other books cover subjects individually, but this text offers a rare topical combination of coverage, using numerous helpful illustrations to explore the information that students and researchers need to intelligently shape their careers.
Keeping pace with the rapid advancement of the field, topics covered include:
- How biotechnology products are produced
- Differences between scientific research conducted in universities and industry
- Which areas of biotechnology offer the best and most challenging career opportunities
- Key laboratory techniques and protocols employed in the field
The contents of this book are derived from discussions between teachers and undergraduate students and designed to address the concepts and methods thought useful by both sides. Starting with the fundamentals of biotechnology, coverage includes definitions, historical perspectives, timelines, and major discoveries, in addition to products, research and development, career prospects, ethical issues, and future trends.
The author explains that even before it had been classified as its own field, biotechnology was already being applied in plant breeding, in vitro fertilization, alcohol fermentation, and other areas. He then delves into new developments in areas including stem cell research, cloning, biofuels, transgenic plants, genetically modified food/crops, pharmacogenomics, and nanobiotechnology. Incorporating extensive pedagogy into the content, this book provides plenty of examples, end-of-chapter problems, case studies, and lab tutorials to help reinforce understanding.
- Isbn-13 Digit: 9781439820094